When it comes to recovery after liposuction, there is no singular answer for how long recovery will take. Your recovery will depend on:
- How many areas of the body are treated
- The extent of body contouring desired
- How quickly your body recovers after surgery
For example, having one small isolated procedure may allow you to go back to work sooner; while procedures performed on five different areas may require a couple more weeks of recovery time.
Regardless of how you feel about returning to work, it may take several months before you see the final results of your surgery. If you are planning to have liposuction for a special event, make sure you have the procedure early enough to fully recover.
Expectations for Liposuction Recovery
You will be instructed to wear a compression garment for a week or so. And you may be prescribed medications to help minimize the risk of infection and aid in healing.
- Discomfort may feel like muscle aches or pain for several days
- Expect some bruising, swelling and numbness in the treated areas
- Watch for any signs of infection in the incision site
- To minimize the risk of blood clots, it is advised to begin a slow walking routine several days after your procedure (check with your doctor first)
- After 3 weeks you should be able to do normal activities – wait at least a month to begin any type of vigorous exercise (again, check with your doctor first)
This procedure is also popular in conjunction with body shaping procedures such as fat transfer to the buttocks or better known as the Brazilian butt lift.
Learn more about liposuction in Denver and find out if you are a good candidate for this body contouring procedure by scheduling a free Cosmetic Consultation with Dr. Serota. Or take our free online Cosmetic Self-Evaluation as a first step.
To find out more about our cosmetic procedures please contact us or take our online cosmetic self evaluation to find out what procedures might be best for you. To schedule your personal consultation with the Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Center in Aurora, Colorado call 303-367-9000.