The American Heart Month / Plastic Surgery Connection
February is not only a month to celebrate Groundhog Day and Valentine’s Day; it’s also American Heart Month. At Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Center, we want to bring this observation to light and remind people that having a healthy heart is important if you are considering any type of plastic surgery in Aurora.
Having heart disease can increase your risk of developing complications after plastic surgery. Those complications can include:
- Heart attack
- Deep-vein thrombosis (blood clots)
- Complications from anesthesia
Dr. Serota will ensure that you are physically healthy enough to recover from plastic surgery procedures such as Aurora tummy tucks, breast augmentation and others. If there are any medical concerns, it may be recommended that you postpone your surgery until your health is in order.
11 Tips for Heart Health
- Reach and sustain a healthy body weight. Schedule a visit to your doctor if you are unsure what your ideal weight should be.
- Stop smoking.
- Eat a healthy diet of fresh, non-processed foods.
- Get your blood pressure checked regularly.
- Get your cholesterol level checked on a regular basis. Adjust your diet or take doctor-prescribed medications to lower your levels, if necessary.
- If you are diabetic, monitor your blood sugar levels every day.
- Exercise regularly to keep your weight, cholesterol and blood pressure in check. The Surgeon General recommends that adults aim for a minimum of 150 minutes/week of moderate intensity activities.
- Follow your doctor’s orders. If you need medication to control your cholesterol, blood pressure, diabetes or other conditions, make sure you are taking the proper doses at the proper times.
- Consume alcohol in moderation.
- Don’t ignore the warning signs of heart problems such as dizziness, irregular heartbeat, chest pain or discomfort, shortness of breath, fatigue, nausea, sweating, etc. Contact your doctor immediately.
- Make doctor visits a priority. Yearly check-ups will help you stay proactive with your overall health.
To learn more about why heart health is important for plastic surgery, contact Dr. Serota at Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Center to schedule a free Cosmetic Consultation. You can also find out if you are a good candidate for the procedure you desire. Call 303-367-9000.