Considering Plastic Surgery? Stop Smoking First!
If you are considering plastic surgery in Aurora, most doctors will require that you refrain from using nicotine products (including cigarettes, patches, gum, e-cigarettes, etc.) for several weeks before and after your procedure. The reasons? Because smoking and nicotine make plastic surgery recovery difficult, due to an increased risk of:
- Delayed wound healing
- Anesthesia complications
- Lung infections
- And more
Tips to Stop Smoking
Of course, smoking is also bad for your overall health and even your skin. Whether or not you want to have a Aurora plastic surgery procedure, you owe it to your own body to try to kick this habit and start living a healthier life. Here are some tips to help you through the transition:
- Get support from a friend or family member – know this might be a difficult journey that is absolutely worth it in the end
- Eat small, healthy meals and snacks frequently to satisfy your urges
- Chew gum or suck on hard candy to satisfy your urges
- Brush your teeth throughout the day to remind yourself how fresh and clean your teeth feel – and how good your breath smells
- Avoid your smoking triggers – like drinking alcohol or going to bars with friends
- Hit the gym or do something active every day
- Drink with a straw to mimic the act of smoking a cigarette – choose water over sugary sodas
- Write down the ways that not smoking is positively impacting your life: more energy, better breathing, etc.
- Write down the reasons you want to stop smoking: the Aurora breast implants you want, the Aurora tummy tuck, for your family, etc.
- Realize you may get frustrated and even angry during the first few weeks of quitting – try to stay positive
- Don’t give up if you give in to one cigarette – just get back on track as soon as possible
To learn about the different plastic surgery options available in Aurora, contact Dr. Serota at Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Center to schedule a Cosmetic Consultation. Contact us today at 303-367-9000.