Questions to Ask a Plastic Surgeon Before a Breast Augmentation
Before any cosmetic surgery, it’s very important to find a properly trained, experienced plastic surgeon. Here are some questions you may want to ask your plastic surgeon before you schedule a breast augmentation:
Questions About Your Surgeon:
- How many breast implant procedures do you perform annually?
- What percentage of your work is dedicated to breast augmentation?
- What type of implants do you use?
- What is the most common complication you encounter with breast augmentation surgery?
- What is your rate of complications in general?
- What is the reoperation rate?
- What types of reoperations do you perform?
Questions About Implants and Outcomes:
- What shape, size and surface texture are you recommending for my implants?
- In your experience, how long will my implants last?
- What incision site and placement are you recommending?
- Do you have before and after photos I can look at?
- How will the breast implants feel?
- Will implants alter my skin and nipple sensation?
- What are the risks and complications associated with having breast implants?
- Does having a strong family history of breast cancer affect my ability to get breast augmentation?
- Will I need additional operations for my implants over my lifetime and if so how many?
- What do I need to do if I have a problem with my implants?
- How will my breasts look if I decide to have the implants removed?
- How difficult is it to have the implants removed?
- How difficult is it to increase the size of the implants once they have been placed?
- What can I expect my breasts to look like over time? What can I do to maintain them?
- What kind of follow-up will I need?
- Are there long term consequences of breast implants?
- Will breast implants affect my ability to breastfeed?
- How will my breasts look after pregnancy and breastfeeding?
- What are my options if I am not satisfied with my augmentation?
- Are mammograms affected with implants in place?
Questions About the Operation:
- How long will I be in pain after the surgery?
- What is the expected recovery time?
- Will my recovery keep me from my usual, daily activities such as work?
- What do I need to do to prepare for surgery?
- How long do you expect my operation to take?
- How likely is infection following surgery?
- What is the risk from anesthesia?
- What can I do to minimize the risk of any complications?
- Where will my scar be?
When choosing a surgeon for a breast augmentation procedure, you may want to consider their experience, their board certification, their patient follow-up and your own personal comfort level. If you are interested in breast augmentation or other cosmetic procedures, Dr. Serota in Denver would be happy to consult with you and discuss any questions you may have. Contact Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Center at 303-367-9000 or serotamd.com to schedule an appointment.