Risks vs. Benefits of a Tummy Tuck
If you’ve been considering a tummy tuck in Aurora, Colorado, it’s important to weigh your own emotional and physical risks and benefits of a tummy tuck (abdominoplasty). While every person will have his or her own unique reasons for wanting to undergo surgery to achieve a flatter tummy, here are some basic tummy tuck pros and cons.
Benefits of Tummy Tucks
- Tighter, flatter abdomen is created
- Abdominal skin that protrudes or sags is removed
- Smaller waistline is created
- Excessive weight loss patients reduce the appearance of large amounts of excess skin and reduce the chance of fungal infection
- Abdominal muscles are tightened
- Some stretch marked skin can be removed or tightened
- Improved body image and self-confidence
- Lasting results if the patient follows a healthy lifestyle
Risks of Tummy Tucks
- Displeasure with the surgery scar
- Delayed healing
- Blood clots
- Fluid or blood collection under the skin (seroma or hematoma)
- Altered skin sensations due to nerve disruption
- Anesthesia reactions
- Persistent pain
- Changes in skin color
- Leg swelling
A tummy tuck is generally safe when performed by a well-trained, knowledgeable surgeon. Aurora, Colorado plastic surgeon Dr. Joseph Serota will only approve you for a tummy tuck procedure if you are physically and emotionally healthy enough to handle the procedure. There are different types of tummy tucks that may be more suitable for some patients. By implicitly following Dr. Serota’s post-tummy tuck instructions, most patients will be pleased with their results.
Learn more about tummy tucks and find out if this procedure might help you by contacting Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Center in Aurora, Colorado today: 303-367-9000 or serotamd.com.