Use Meditation to Relax Before Surgery
Meditation is the age-old practice in which an individual trains the mind or induces a mode of consciousness, either to realize some benefit or for the mind to simply acknowledge its content without becoming identified with that content (according to Wikipedia).
Meditation has been practiced since antiquity as a component of numerous religious traditions and beliefs. It often involves an internal effort to self-regulate the mind in some way and is often used to clear the mind and ease many health concerns, such as high blood pressure, depression and anxiety.
Since some patients can become anxious before cosmetic surgery, the staff at Advanced Cosmetic Surgery Center in Denver, Colorado, recommends meditation as a possible solution to minimize anxiety. Simple stress relieving exercises can help people feel calm. When you are relaxed your body is stronger and you can heal better.
Here are a few simple ways to relax before surgery:
- Take time to relax several times a day before surgery or procedure.
- Sit in a quiet space and take slow deep breaths. Think of a peaceful place.
- Relax your muscles. Try these 5 to 10 minutes, several times a day.
- Sit in a quiet place and listen to calming music that you enjoy. Relax your muscles as you listen. Repeat several times a day.
- Take a walk. Do simple stretching exercises 5-10 minutes several times a day.
- Relax in a warm bath or shower.
- Think positive thoughts. Think about the good things in your life.
- Attend a low impact Yoga class to help you relax.