Weight Loss After Pregnancy
Even though it takes nine months to grow and nurture a baby inside the womb…and nine months to gain the proper amount of weight to do so…many new moms become frustrated when the “baby weight” doesn’t melt away quickly. This becomes even more frustrating if the new mom wasn’t at her ideal weight before becoming pregnant.
Here are some tips to help you navigate the post baby weight transition:
- Give yourself time. Every new mom will lose weight at her own pace.
- Don’t try to compete with celebrities who seem to bounce back in record time: these moms may have a whole team of people helping with the new baby as well as personal trainers and dieticians on their side.
- Breastfeeding may contribute to your weight loss. It can burn hundreds of calories and may shrink your tummy.
- Feed yourself the proper amount of nutritious foods. This is not the time to “crash” diet, especially if you are breastfeeding.
- Make time for exercise to not only trim your body but also reduce stress and keep postpartum depression at bay. Find an activity that makes you happy: walking with friends, going to the gym, stretching, yoga, weight training, swimming, etc. Incorporate your new baby when you can.
- Drink plenty of water every day. This may speed up your metabolism.
- The more sleep you can get, the better. You may not get the chance to sleep through the night, but cat naps during the day will go a long way to helping your body release stress hormones.
- Accept help from family and friends. Having a new baby can be tough and sometimes stressful work. Don’t feel like a failure if you need a shoulder to lean on. You don’t have to be Supermom.
Even if ideal body weight is achieved after pregnancy, some moms become frustrated with how pregnancy and breastfeeding changes their bodies. More and more moms are turning to Aurora Mommy Makeovers in order to feel more confident and reclaim their bodies. Mommy Makeovers can include a combination of procedures:
- Breast lift to perk up sagging breasts
- Breast implants to increase breast size
- Liposuction to eliminate stubborn pockets of fat
- Tummy tuck to reduce excess loose skin in the stomach area
To learn more about Mommy Makeovers in Aurora, contact Dr. Serota at Advnaced Cosmetic Surgery Center to schedule a free Cosmetic Consultation at 303-367-9000.