For many women, it's not the size of their breasts that is bothersome...it is the shape. Pregnancy, breastfeeding, gravity and weight loss take a toll on the perkiness of breasts over time. The result is sagging, flattened breasts that cannot be corrected by breast implants.
A breast lift can restore perkiness by raising and reshaping sagging breasts, providing a fuller and more balanced shape and reducing the size of the areola (the darker skin surrounding the nipple) if necessary. Often, if only a small amount of lift is needed, breast augmentation with implants results in a fuller, lifted breast without further surgery. A breast lift can also be combined with a breast augmentation if increased size is desired as well as a lift.
A mastopexy usually takes 2 to 3 hours.
- General anesthesia or sedation is administered.
- An incision is made to allow access to the breast tissue. The incision location will depend on the extent of lift needed: around the areola (donut lift), vertically to the breast fold or vertically and crescent-shaped for the most significant alterations.
- Excess skin is removed and the breast tissue is reshaped. The nipple is repositioned and areola size is minimized, if necessary.
- The incisions are closed. Stitches are usually located around the areola, in a vertical line extending downward from the nipple area and/or along the lower crease of the breast. The breasts are wrapped in a bandage to minimize swelling and promote healing. A tube to remove excess blood or fluid may be inserted temporarily.
Dr. Serota uses different techniques for a breast lift and will choose the one best suited for you.
- If you have small breasts and minimal sagging, you may be a candidate for periareolar mastopexy. In this type of breast lift, circular incisions are made around the areola, requiring a less extensive incision.
- For women with a higher degree of sagging or larger breasts, an anchor-shaped incision is made, following the natural contour of the breast. The incision outlines the area from which breast skin will be removed and defines the new location for the nipple. When the excess skin has been removed, the nipple and areola are moved to the higher position. The skin surrounding the areola is then brought down together to reshape the breast.
Expect to rest at home for 1-2 weeks. Your breasts may remain sore, swollen and bruised for several weeks; wearing a special support bra will aid in healing. Avoid strenuous activity and smoking until your breasts are completely healed.
A breast lift will not increase your breast size. In fact, your breasts may appear slightly smaller due to the removal of excess skin. However, firmness will be restored. There are some risks associated with having this surgery:
- Dissatisfaction with breast size
- Sensation loss
These risks can be minimized by choosing an experienced and well-trained surgeon and having regular exams to monitor any changes in your breasts. Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and weight will also help your breast lift results last longer.
- Breast Augmentation
To schedule your confidential Cosmetic Consultation, call 303-367-9000.