It's not your age that determines whether you are ready for a facelift - it's how you look and how you feel about the visible signs of aging. It doesn't happen overnight, but it may seem like these visible signs have suddenly appeared! Often it's the comments from others, such as "you look tired," that cause you to take a closer look at your face. That's when you may notice:
- A deepening of the lines that run from the corners of your nose to the corners of your mouth
- Loose, sagging skin
- Excess fatty tissue or skin in your neck
- Wrinkling and sagging in the middle third of your face contributing to a sad or tired look
- Drooping eyelids
Source: 2019 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report, American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Increasingly, women and men are choosing facial rejuvenation surgery at an earlier age to help them keep looking as vital and energetic as they feel - for professional and personal reasons. Facelifts allow you to take control of your appearance and they can provide a big psychological boost.
Dr. Joseph Serota's proven facelift techniques can restore tightness to loose skin, minimize lines and wrinkles, provide a smoother facial contour and help you look years younger. Facelift surgery is particularly challenging, since patients differ widely in their underlying facial structure. It's important to place your trust in a doctor who has extensive experience in these procedures and an excellent track record of success - a doctor like Dr. Serota.
Facelift surgery typically takes 2-4 hours.
- General or local anesthesia or sedatives are administered.
- One or more incisions are made to allow the doctor to gently lift the skin, remove excess fat and skin and reposition and tighten the underlying muscles and connective tissues.
- The location and length of the incisions will depend on the facial areas you wish to smooth and tighten. Every effort is made to keep the incisions as inconspicuous as possible, hiding them along the hairline or around the ear.
- After surgery the incisions are closed with sutures or staples and the area is covered to aid in healing and keeping the area clean.
The traditional facelift incision starts in the temple area, extends downward in a natural line in front of the ear - or just inside the cartilage at the front of the ear - and continues behind the earlobe to the lower scalp. This technique is still the most effective way to treat many patients who show significant facial aging.
In evaluating you for a facelift, the thickness, texture and elasticity of your skin and the severity of wrinkles and folds will be important considerations. Your hairline will be examined to determine where incisions can be discreetly placed. These factors, as well as your age, bone structure and underlying tissues, all go into developing an appropriate surgical plan. Dr. Serota's ultimate goal is to help restore a more youthful contour to your face and neck.
Plan to recover from facelift surgery for 2-3 weeks. Cold compresses and pain medication will ease discomfort, swelling and bruising as the incisions heal. It is important to follow your post-op instructions and keep your follow-up appointments to ensure there are no complications and your face is healing properly. If possible, have a friend or family member provide support at home (cooking, cleaning, child-care, etc.) so you can rest properly.
Strenuous activities should be avoided until you are fully healed. If you are a smoker, resuming this habit before the doctor gives approval may slow your healing and lead to other complications.
Although facelifts do have certain risks, making sure you are a good candidate for the procedure and choosing a skilled facelift doctor will help minimize those risks including:
- Nerve damage
- Facial numbness
- Blood clots
Facelift surgery results don't last forever, but by living a healthy lifestyle, not smoking, avoiding sun exposure and treating your skin with respect, you may find 10 years or more of happiness with your results.
- Blepharoplasty (Eyelid Surgery)
- Brow Lift
- Chin Implant
- Kybella© (Double Chin)
To schedule your confidential Cosmetic Consultation, call 303-367-9000.