Many women equate their femininity and sexuality with the look, size and shape of their breasts. This is a perfectly healthy and normal feeling. If your breasts are not as shapely as you would like them to be – due to pregnancy, breastfeeding, genetics, aging, weight loss, etc. – Dr. Joseph Serota may be able to renew your breast confidence.
Breast Augmentation Was the #1 Cosmetic Surgical Procedure in 2017
300,000 procedures performed!
Source: 2017 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report, American Society of Plastic Surgeons
The Solution: Breast Augmentation in Aurora
Breast augmentation is performed to balance a difference in breast size, improve body contour or as a post-surgery reconstructive technique. The goal of surgery is to obtain the most natural form and volume possible and to enhance, not to exaggerate, the breasts’ natural proportions. Women choose to have breast implants for different reasons:
- Loss of breast tissue due to pregnancy and/or breastfeeding
- Lack of significant breast tissue
- Extreme asymmetry or congenital deformities
- Desire for larger, rounder breasts
Note that sagging breasts is not on the above list. Breast implants will not improve breast sagging; this is achieved by using the breast lift technique. Both procedures may be combined to produce the desired results.
The major reason many women opt for breast augmentation is to feel more attractive and at ease in clothes that fit well and flatter the figure, whether in sweater or bikini season. We stress the importance of having breast augmentation for yourself and not under the direction or insistence of another person.
Breast Augmentation Options
Many women think that the implant size is the only decision they have to make for this procedure. In fact, there are different choices that can alter how the implants look and feel. What is right for one woman may be completely wrong for another.
placeholder for mature content
Dr. Serota will discuss the various options and he will help you choose the right ones for your unique body frame, anatomy and lifestyle.
- Breast Implant Type: saline, silicone gel or gummy bear implants
- Breast Implant Size: silicone breast implants are pre-filled/pre-sized; saline implants are filled with saline solution either before or after they have been inserted into the body to achieve the desired size
- Breast Implant Shape: round high or moderate profile
- Breast Implant Texture: smooth
- Incision Area: in the under breast crease (inframmary)
- Breast Implant Placement: under the pectoral muscles and underlying muscles (submuscular), under the upper pectoral muscles but above the chest muscles (subpectoral) or above the pectoral and chest muscles and beneath the breast tissue (subglandular)
What to Expect During Breast Augmentation Surgery
A breast augmentation procedure usually takes 1 to 2 hours.
- Breast augmentation surgery is performed under general anesthesia or sedation.
- The incision is made in the pre-determined location on the chest.
- The breast tissue is lifted and the implant inserted. It is centered beneath the nipple, either under or above the pectoral muscle.
- The incisions are closed and the breasts may be wrapped in a bandage to minimize swelling and promote healing.
Breast Augmentation Recovery
After a post-surgical recovery period of 24 to 48 hours and an additional reduced-activity period of a few days, some patients may be able to return to work depending on the level of activity required. Patients will likely experience soreness and swelling for a few days to a few weeks. Dr. Serota recommends not resuming exercise and normal activity until you’ve been given the okay.
Potential Risks of Breast Augmentation
It is important to know that breast implants last, on average, 10 years approximately although this period may be shorter or longer. You may need to have your implants replaced in the future due to problems with the implants or body changes that alter the appearance of your implants. There are other risks associated with having this surgery:
- Implant rupture, causing the saline or silicone gel to leak into the body
- Capsular contracture which occurs when the scar tissue around the implant begins to contract, squeezing the breast
- Loss of breast sensitivity
- Rippling or indentations in the breast mostly associated with saline implants
- Interference with mammogram readings/results depending on placement of implants
- General dissatisfaction with the size or appearance of the breasts
These risks can be minimized by choosing an experienced and well-trained surgeon like Dr. Serota and having regular exams to monitor any changes in your breasts.
Procedures Often Performed With Breast Augmentation
Take our free online Cosmetic Self-Evaluation to find out what procedures might be best for you.
To schedule your confidential and free Cosmetic Consultation, call 303-367-9000.