Women with very large, pendulous breasts may experience a variety of medical problems caused by the excessive weight—from back and neck pain and skin irritation to skeletal deformities and breathing problems. Bra straps may leave painful indentations in their shoulders. And, unusually large breasts can make a woman, or a teenage girl, feel extremely self-conscious.
The Solution: Breast Reduction in Aurora
Dr. Joseph Serota performs breast reduction to remove fat, glandular tissue and skin from the breasts, making them smaller, lighter and firmer. It can also reduce the size of the areola (the darker skin surrounding the nipple). The goal of breast reduction is to give the woman smaller, more attractive, better-shaped breasts in proportion with the rest of her body as well as freedom from health problems associated with excessively large breasts.
Breast reduction surgery can alleviate:
- Skin irritation
- Neck and back pain
- Posture problems
- Limitations for physical activities
- Fashion limitations
What to Expect During Breast Reduction Surgery
Breast reduction surgery typically takes 2-4 hours.
Every woman’s breast reduction surgery will be completely unique. In some cases, liposuction may be sufficient to reduce the size of breasts with removal of excess fatty tissue only. However, many patients require excess tissue and skin to also be removed in order to achieve the desired results.
- Breast reduction surgery is performed under general anesthesia or sedation.
- The type and size of incision will depend on the extent of reduction needed: around the areola, vertically to the breast fold or vertically and anchor-shaped for the most significant alterations.
- From the incision(s) excess fat, breast tissue and skin are removed and the skin is tightened. The nipple is repositioned, if necessary.
- The incisions are then closed and the breasts will be wrapped in a bandage to minimize swelling and promote healing.
Breast Reduction Recovery
Your breasts may remain sore and swollen for 1-2 weeks; wearing a special support bra will aid in healing. Avoid strenuous activity and smoking until your breasts are completely healed.
Potential Risks of Breast Reduction
When performed by an experienced and well-trained surgeon, breast reduction surgery is considered to be a generally safe procedure. By following Dr. Serota’s instructions before, during and after surgery, you can minimize the potential risks of this procedure:
- Loss of sensation
- Anesthesia risks
- Breastfeeding difficulties
Procedures Often Performed With Breast Reduction
Take our free online Cosmetic Self-Evaluation to find out what procedures might be best for you.
To schedule your confidential and free Cosmetic Consultation, call 303-367-9000.