The skin of our eyelids is very thin and sensitive. In fact, it’s the thinnest skin of our bodies. As we age, eyelid skin stretches, muscles weaken and fat pockets begin to bulge. As a result, the eyelids are often the first facial features to show signs of aging.
Eyelid skin contours can greatly affect the expressiveness of your face. When drooping or bulging, your eyelids may project a haggard look despite good health and adequate rest. You can also appear sleepy, sad, depressed or older.
Eyelid Surgery Was a Top 5 Cosmetic Surgical Procedure in 2017
209,000 procedures performed!
Source: 2017 Plastic Surgery Statistics Report, American Society of Plastic Surgeons
Droopy, puffy eyelids can also be an inherited trait, causing patients to seek treatment in their 20s or 30s.
The Solution: Eyelid Surgery in Aurora
Eyelid surgery is designed to:
- Remove the excess fat and drooping skin of the upper eyelids
- Minimize bags under the eyes
- Tighten the lower eyelid skin
Dr. Joseph Serota has extensive experience performing eyelid surgery. He is careful to not over-correct the eyelids so he can achieve an appearance for you that is more alert and rested but also very natural.
Eyelid surgery usually takes 1 to 2 hours.
- General or local anesthesia or sedatives are administered.
- Depending on your unique eyelid concerns, incisions will be made in the natural crease of the upper eyelids or on lower eyelids to allow Dr. Serota to gently lift the skin, remove excess skin and fat and then tighten and reposition the underlying muscles and connective tissues. The particular technique recommended will depend on many factors such as the amount of excess fat and skin in the eyelid areas, the position of the eyebrows and the condition of the muscle around the eyelids.
- After surgery, the incisions are closed with sutures.
Eyelid Surgery Recovery
Recovery from eyelid surgery may take 1-2 weeks. Cold compresses, eye drops, lubricating ointment and pain medication will ease discomfort, swelling and bruising as the incisions heal. Enlisting the help of a friend or family member at home will allow you to give your eyelids the rest they need for quick healing. Dr. Serota will provide recovery instructions and will schedule follow-up appointments to assess your healing. It is important to avoid strenuous activities and smoking until you are fully healed.
Eyelid surgery results do not last forever (the aging process never stops), but most patients are happy with their appearance for 5-10 or more years after the procedure.
Potential Risks of Eyelid Surgery
You should always be aware of the risk of complications with any type of surgery. Risks of eyelid surgery may include:
- Dry eyes
- Limited Vision or loss
- Eyelid discoloration
- Difficulty closing eyelids
The best way to minimize these risks is by choosing a skilled eyelid surgery doctor with a strong track record of success and a gallery of before-and-after photos of past patients – like Dr. Serota. You can do your part in reducing the risk of complications by following Dr. Serota’s instructions for proper rest, adhering to your eye drop regimen, gently cleansing the eyes and attending your follow-up appointments.
Procedures Often Performed With Blepharoplasty
Take our free online Cosmetic Self-Evaluation to find out what procedures might be best for you.
To schedule your confidential and free Cosmetic Consultation, call 303-367-9000.