Aging, sun exposure, gravity and facial habits like squinting can leave their marks on our faces, especially on the brows and forehead. Genetics also play a role in how our faces age. When you have vertical or horizontal lines on your forehead or between your eyebrows – or sagging, heavy eyebrows – you can look older, tired and even angry. Some people also have difficulty with their vision if their eyebrows have sagged enough to obstruct sight.
Luckily, there are surgical options to provide a smoother appearance and a lift to these sagging areas.
The Solution: Brow Lift in Aurora
A brow lift (also known as a forehead lift) is a very effective way of correcting these facial changes. The purpose of this procedure is to smooth out the skin and remove any excess skin of the brows and forehead. Dr. Serota has extensive experience performing brow lift surgery. He is careful to not over-tighten this area so he can achieve an appearance that is more alert and rested but also very natural.
What to Expect During Brow Lift Surgery
The brow lift is usually done with general sedation and will take 1-2 hours.
During surgical procedures, incisions are made to allow for removal of excess skin and fat and to reposition the underlying muscles and tissues. Dr. Serota will determine the best location for the incision:
- Coronal incision: in a curve across your head behind the hairline (scars are well hidden).
- Hairline incision: the mid-part of the incision is made more closely behind the hairline which will lower the hairline because excess forehead skin is removed at the incision site, bringing the eyebrows and hairline closer together. The scar might be more visible.
Keep in mind that each of us has a unique face, so the way each of us responds to facial surgery can differ. But in general, the end result will be a tighter and smoother forehead and a more youthful position for the eyebrows which gives your eyes a wider, more alert look.
Brow Lift Recovery
Patients should expect to recover for 2 weeks after brow lift surgery. It is important to follow Dr. Serota’s post-op instructions completely to reduce your risk of complications.
- For 7-10 days, keep your head elevated to reduce swelling
- Use cold compresses to help further reduce swelling
- There may be some numbness and itching while the incisions heal
- Stitches will be taken out after 1 week
- Any bandages or tapes will be removed after 2-3 days
- Avoid strenuous activities for about 2 weeks or longer
Potential Risks of Brow Lift Surgery
You should always be aware of the risk of complications with any type of surgery. Risks of brow lift surgery may include:
- Loss of hair near incisions
- Eye irritation
- Poor wound healing
Procedures Often Performed With Brow Lifts
Take our free online Cosmetic Self-Evaluation to find out what procedures might be best for you.
To schedule your confidential Cosmetic Consultation, call 303-367-9000.