Having protruding or overly large ears can make anyone self-conscious and prone to teasing by others. Whether you are an adult who has suffered with this physical trait for years or you are a parent of a child who is embarrassed by their ears, there is a way to cosmetically reshape this prominent feature.
The Solution: Cosmetic Ear Surgery in Aurora
Ear reshaping or cosmetic ear surgery (otoplasty) can make some of the most significant differences in how children and adults live the rest of their lives. Dr. Joseph Serota performs ear reshaping to reposition prominent ears closer to the head or to reduce the size of large ears.
- Often, the operation is performed on children between the ages of 4 and 14. Ears are almost fully grown by age 4; the earlier the surgery, the less teasing and ridicule the child will have to endure. Pinning the ears is a common technique used during otoplasty to achieve the desired result.
- Ear surgery on adults is also common; there are generally no additional risks associated with ear surgery on an older patient. In addition to ear pinning, Dr. Serota may also reshape or reduce the size of the ears to help them appear symmetrical and streamlined with the contours of the face.
Even if only one ear protrudes, most surgeons will treat both ears to produce aesthetically pleasing results.
What to Expect During Cosmetic Ear Surgery
Cosmetic ear surgery typically takes 1-2 hours.
- General or local anesthesia or sedatives are administered.
- One or more incisions are made behind the ear. Scarring is usually well-hidden.
- Ear cartilage is reshaped as necessary and excess skin is removed.
- The earlobe size may be reduced if necessary.
- The ear may be pinned (repositioned) closer to the head if necessary. Skin from the back of the ear may need to be removed.
- After surgery the incisions are closed with sutures.
Cosmetic Ear Surgery Recovery
Recovery is typically very quick. You may be instructed to wear a headband over your ears for 2 weeks to allow the ears to heal in the proper position. Sleeping on your back will be important so you do not place any pressure on your ears.
Potential Risks of Cosmetic Ear Surgery
You can minimize the risks of surgery by following Dr. Serota’s post-op instructions carefully:
Take our free online Cosmetic Self-Evaluation to find out what procedures might be best for you.
To schedule your confidential Cosmetic Consultation, call 303-367-9000.